Tuesday 19 March 2013

There is no such thing as bad weather...

And so the snow continues.  That picture in my last post?  Totally white-washed out of existence, because this being March, Mother Nature is playing with us a bit, the saucy minx.  Friday was all Winter Wonderland, Saturday was +2degC and slush everywhere (practical shoes, people, practical shoes), whilst on Sunday it was -8 again.

Honestly.  I'm guessing the big Mother must be suffering as much from PMT as I am right now, she's so changeable at the moment.  The poor birds are all arriving back from their winter playgrounds and tweeting their little hearts out for about 5 minutes before they hunker down to try and conserve energy in the -11degC dawn (yesterday morning's balmy temperature).

I know, when Spring finally get's off it's backside and deigns to make a proper appearance (because I don't care what you say, Russians,  THIS IS NOT SPRING!), that we will soon have forgotten the snowdrifts stacked up like mini-Everests (except with more dirt in them), and that the daily tussle over snowpants with children bored of wearing them for 5 straight months will soon be just a distant memory.  I know that.

But in the meantime, it's cold, it's dirty, and I'm totally ready to see grass outside the back door again.

Time to trot out one of my totally over-used truisms about living in Russia, I think;

There is no such thing as bad weather; only bad shoes...

9 comments:

  1. Oh I could have wrote that post. I am so sick of winter this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. It's bloody freezing here in Chicago too although last week's snow has disappeared. I think I may have to burn my long duvet coat once it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a really long winter in the US too this year. We had snow again yesterday and there's another winter storm forecast next week. No sign of putting away the snowboots and gloves yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think winter seems to have been going on forever everywhere this year. (Well except in the southern hemisphere where the bastards are all too hot.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is going on for a long time in the Netherlands too, but when I compare our weather conditions to those in other parts of the world, I realize we don't have it so bad here, although Dutch people do like to moan and groan about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) I'm sure they say that here in Korea, too, but I still don't understand enough Korean to be sure. What is true is that no type of weather - no matter how vile - stops people from going about their business. Boggles the mind.

    2) Winter. It's gone on forever here, too. We've had a couple of deceptively warm days in the low teens, but today it's raining and 3degC. I suppose I should be thankful it's not snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EPM, after wearing it for four winters straight, I think I may need to do the same with mine...

    NVG, but just imagine how lovely it will be when we can!

    Melissa, yes, don't talk to me about those Southern types...

    Irene, really? I never noticed ;)

    MsC, sometimes I think snow is better than just above 0. Sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on a commenting spree on your blog:D Is the weather still that bad in Russia or has it become spring-y now? Thankfully, it isn't too cold where I live anymore.. and I'm enjoying the weather now!

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...