Thursday 11 October 2012

When your children still think you can do ANYTHING...

The Boys' school has a used book fair on at the moment.  The basic premise is that the children comb through the shelves to find books they don't want anymore, and take them into school where they exchange  them for 'book bucks', which they can then swap for - you guessed it - more books.

So - an opportunity to rid ourselves of books that are too young a reader-age, and to get new books more appropriate to the Boys into the bargain?  Fantastic.

Obviously, we forgot all about it.

This necessitated a last minute rifle through the shelves and some hard decisions about which titles we loved too much to give away, even if they were way too young for the Boys these days.  At the final count we managed a total of 20 books to swap - many of which, it has to be said, had been acquired at previous book fairs and which I was only too happy to see go (Transformers or Pokemon, anyone?).

The Boys were delighted; this gave each of them a total of 10 book bucks to spend.  The only problem was that, having left it to the last minute, a lot of the best books had already gone and so the selection to choose from was somewhat thinner than they might have liked.  This meant that when he had chosen the books he wanted, Boy #2 still had one book buck left over.  He decided that rather than saving it for the next fair, he would - dear heart - spend it on me.

This is why, when I collected him from school the day before yesterday, he made me a gift of this book.

I like to think of it as evidence of his lofty ambition for me.


13 comments:

  1. He must think very highly of you and you should give him a big hug and a kiss for doing so. At least he solved the problem of where your ambitions lie when you are done raising him and his brother. You will be young enough to give it an honest shot. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene - there is the small problem of not being an American citizen, but yes; I run his world at the moment, so why not run *the* world when that job's done?

    MsC, well thankyou!

    MCD: I'm not sure he could actually read the title - but still...

    Circles, thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PM, misschien kunnen tegen die tijd niet Amerikaanse burgers ook president van de USA worden want we bemoeien ons nu al genoeg met hun verkuezingen. Ik denk eigenlijk dat wij als Europeanen dat land beter zouden kunnen runnen dan zijzelf :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. President of the PTA, would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing less would do, I would think! Kudos to the young man.

    LCM x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, aha, a coded message (which I could actually read, much to my surprise!). Good point - but not sure I would be the right person. The chocolate is MUCH better in Europe, for starters. And think of all the draughts in that big old house... ;)

    Iota, not in this lifetime...

    LCM, like I said - he's aiming high... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is what I'm wondering, because I have no problems with the idea of Potty Mum for President -- watI'm wondering is WHERE DOES THAT BOOK COME FROM????? Because I don't think it was originally purchased in the spirit of light humor.

    Not. AT. ALL!!!

    We must put our heads together on this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's the problem? You've obviously left it a bit too late for the election that's coming up next month, but come on - you've got four years to get your citizenship without actually living there, get a VP (pick me, pick me) and become the first female Prez!
    I have complete faith in you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant! Even if you don't make president at least you'll know where to go and what to do as you have the inside info - hope you'll share the nuggets you discover with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I was a child again, my thoughts on that book would be, 'looks like a boring adult book, that'll do!'.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...