Friday 16 December 2011

How not to give yourself a manicure...

So which one of you jokers out there knew that cutting up a pumpkin would give me brown stained fingers and palms, and chose not to tell me?

Hmm?

Because it was all oh-so-funny when I was mugging it up for the Boys as they ate their dinner, girding my loins with an apron for an epic battle with this 5 kilo monster squash, attacking it with my sharpest knife and asking my enthralled audience if they wanted to see it's intestines. And before you call me ghoulish, to be fair the stringy stuff inside did rather look like something's insides, especially if you're a 5 or an 8 year old boy (or a 44 year old mother with an over-active imagination).

It may not have been wise, however, to wave the sectioned and vanquished vegetable (fruit? vegetable? Fruit? It does have seeds, after all) over my head in triumph at this point. It might even perhaps have been a rather a silly thing to do, since the pumpkin spitefully proved to take what I thought at the time was it's last revenge, showering my newly cut hair with seeds in retaliation for the inconvenience of being cut up, but I was on a roll, my sons were laughing hysterically by this time, and it seemed like a good idea at the time Your Honour...

Less funny however were the 10 minutes I had to spend with a pumice stone removing the dried up and brown-stained skin on my hands afterwards. Turned out that in fact the seeds on my head were only a foretaste of retaliation, since the pumpkin's last act was to use it's juice to give me hands that looked as if I worked in a tannery or on a tobacco farm and which felt like I had spent the afternoon moisturising with Cif.

I had the last laugh over-all, though. The soup that I turned my victim into is delicious...


This post was brought to you by a rainy Friday night in Moscow with no new dvd's to watch. Normal service should be resumed shortly.


4 comments:

  1. You sure showed a lot of fortitude and dedication making that soup. I doubt I would have showed as much. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that pumpkin innards stained the hands, since I always passed that job onto MrL. Oh, and as far as I know, pumpkins are technically classified as a berry. I think that was one of those facts one of the boys brought home in grade school and is still taking up valuable space in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, since my hands are now returned to their normal colour I can say it was worth it for the entertainment value on the Boys' faces alone...

    MsC, you passed the job on to MRL???? I clearly need to take lessons from you in husband-management. Mind you, what with the need for warming soups (something you know all about now, I see, although really, minus 3? Ha!) I suspect you too will tangle with a berry sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this has never happened to me... is that some sort of crazy Russian pumpkin or just the ordinary one?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...