Friday 7 October 2011

Older siblings rule OK

Blogging isn't all about humour and rants, you know. OK, more often that not, on The Potty Diaries it is, but just for a change here's a classic 'mummy blogger' post...

My sons are normally excellent sleepers, closing their eyes only moments after the lights go out and not opening them again until about 10 minutes after I ask them to get out of bed (well, you can't have everything). However, yesterday evening Boy #2 did not want to go to sleep. It was 8.10pm and having been in bed for all of 40 minutes (oh, alright, if I'm honest, 15...) he was still bouncing about like a tightly wound yo-yo. I could hear him across the landing as I was folding the laundry (oh, the glamour of the expat wife's life), and I could also hear Boy #1 becoming increasingly exasperated as he did want to go to sleep.

Suddenly, it all went quiet. I left it for a moment, and then picked up a faint murmuring coming from the Boys' bedroom. Intrigued, I crept quietly towards their open door and stood silently outside to find out what was going on.

Boy #1 was gently singing his brother to sleep.

At the end of the (made-up) song, Boy #2 heaved a happy sigh, rolled over, and nothing more was heard from either one of them until the morning.

I don't mind telling you; I was heaving a few happy sighs myself...

9 comments:

  1. You have given me reason to look forward to having the girls share a bedroom. If Girl #2 ever sleeps....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awfully sweet. What a good kid he was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very sweet. We have similar moments when one wants to go to sleep and the other doesn't. Other nights, they climb into the same bunk together and I find him cuddled up like little puppies in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how gorgeous! Yes, my two boys often end up both in the top bunk. Other nights, older is pleading, begging the younger to go to sleep. Love these stories, makes up for the lack of glamour piles of washing brings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so i was going to comment and everything...and then got distracted by the FILTHY ripping-each-others-clothes-off video in your sidebar.

    Now I'm too shocked to think straight. And I wasn't really concentrating and one minute there was frantic foreplay and suddenly a BABY? what sort of sex ed is this??!!

    I haven't been for ages, I'm rubbish. But i'm always so glad when i do come 'home'.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG how adorable.
    Bit of that magic dust landed in this house last night - 16 year old started helping 8 year old with his homework the other night, while I was doing dinner. OK, he was hungry and realised the less distractions for me, the quicker he'd be fed, but still. Oh, and then they started fighting about the right way to do the sums...but it was a momentary glimpse of how things could be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwwwwwwwww

    This sort of thing suggests I should move our two in together but I worry about Bigger waking up Littler... so impressed by your two

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet picture that makes...remember that the next time they are going at it tooth and nail...unless it's just mine who do that?
    We're at the stage now where Son #2 (heading out for a night at the school play with a group of his mates and possibly a few young ladies) knocked humbly on Son #1s door to ask for advice on his 'look,' which was generously given ("Dude, you can't wear that belt with those jeans. Here. Wear mine.") Somehow I didn't think boys did that. But it's good to see that all that nagging about sharing did finally take root....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I fully recognise the first part of that scenario..but have never encountered the second...

    How lovely. #1 sons are worth their weight in gold sometimes, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...