Friday 1 April 2011

Acorns, trees, and not falling far....

Isn't modern technology a wonderful thing? Yesterday morning, my dad and I had a text conversation via Skype and it occurred to me that anyone who's trying to 'get' the British sense of humour might find this exchange helpful:


Dad (in answer to an email I wrote telling him I was looking at the AMAZING train journey site Seat 61 whilst considering a trip on the Trans Siberian Railway this summer): Send me the link then

Me: No sooner said than done: http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm

Dad: I'd heard about this site but never used it. Fantastic.... I've got a blue tit* hanging upside down from the gutter looking at me!

Me: Too - many - jokes - but I'll start with, is it still cold there then?

Dad: No, but it really is a great tit**.

Me: Speaking of birds, will e-mail a photo for you to identify some that were outside this morning... (note; My dad is a font of knowledge about such things...)

Dad: Go ahead. I'll just go and get the anorak on.

Me: Just sent them...

Dad (around 60 seconds later): Waxwing... Probably en route to Siberia after winter in W. Europe

Me: Thankyou. Did you have to look that up?

Dad: No. It's been a good year for them here in the UK. Probably because of severe weather in Scandinavia.

Me: And of course the beer's cheeper in the UK, too... (two jokes in one. I am on FIRE)

Dad: And more opportunities for tweeting.

Me: A truer word...

Dad: PS They enjoy the tits*** in the Sun as well!

Me: Thankyou very much, I'll be here all week.


Ends...


Explains a lot about me, doesn't it...


* For those outside the UK, a 'blue tit' is a type of bird/
** As is a 'great tit'
*** Here, we're not talking about birds. Not the feathered kind, at any rate.

8 comments:

  1. You are so very British lol.

    I thought I would get lost, but I followed that conversation and thought that's the kind of conversation I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that was a funny conversation that I would have too.

    BNM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that I should try a cultural experiment here. I should get a Midwesterner round, and try and explain why this conversation is funny. On the other hand, not sure I have the time or energy. And I probably wouldn't succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On second thoughts, I think the challenge wouldn't be so much to explain why this conversation is funny, as to explain why this conversation is a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea what Iota is talking about, have you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed it....you're right, only someone British could possibly begin to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pippa, all Brits together, hey?

    BNM, so good to know I'm not alone!

    Iota, go on - do the experiment - I dare you!

    EPM, well...

    NVG, cultural references are great, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness me yes... mind you, there is a limit to the volume of puns one family can contain before the chief offender is sent to Coventry.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...