Wednesday 3 November 2010

Autumn pleasures...

The Boys and I are back in the UK for their half term week. It's been action-packed so far (hence the lack of blogging). I do however have a few observations to make. Firstly, that I bloody love Autumn. That whole 'Season of mists and mellow fruitfullness' vibe just feels right to me. And I noticed that...

1. The autumnal colours in the south west of the England this year are outstanding. OUT - STANDING. So...

2. ...why then did I leave my decent camera in Moscow? Could it be because subliminally...

3. ... I knew that during our visit I would be collecting the small camera I dropped off for repair during our summer holidays here? Although, if that was in the fact the case...

4. ... why the hell did I leave it's battery in Moscow (along with the previously mentioned other camera)?

And one more observation for luck...

Picture the scene. A classic bonfire night celebration (yes yes, too early I know, but nothing was going to come between my dad and his opportunity to celebrate that most macho of dates with all 3 grandsons in attendance). The fire was roaring, the fireworks had been set off to the accompaniment of requisite ooohs and aaaaahs, and soup, sausages, baked potatoes, mulled wine and gingerbread had been devoured in short order.

The Somerset night was black as pitch - a fact used to his advantage by Boy #2 who was crouched behind my mother on her chair, popping out his head every now and again to make surreal remarks, making her look like nothing less than a curiously half-rejuvenated version of that 2 headed chap in The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In between laughing at my younger son, cuddling my older one, and being shocked by my dad's reminiscences of the appallingly dangerous things he and his boyhood friends used to get up with dud fireworks they collected the day after Bonfire Night (drying them out in the oven seemed a particularly interesting way of having fun with gunpowder), my sis and I even managed to fit in a couple of campfire songs like 'Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gumtree' and 'Ging-gang-Gooly...' - in the round, no less, and accompanied by suitable drum-machine like noises by my bro and nephew.

Oh yes. The observation? You can take the girl out of the 1970's, but it seems that you can't take the 1970's out of the girl...

Treacle toffee, anyone?

9 comments:

  1. Not sure I remember teh Kokoburra one but Ging Gang Gooly now that conjures up some!!!! Love Autumn esp when the sun shines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely. Going to a 70's party on Saturday night (friend's 40th, unsuprisingly)!. Having LOTS of fun with the costume...safe trip home x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattie! You don't remember the kookaburra one? How could you forget that?

    Bonfires and November. How perfectly English of you, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, homesick for Guy Fawkes now - glad you were able to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree-eeee, merry merry king of the bush is he-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. TW - how are your gorgeous puppies (and to other readers, no that's NOT a euphamism...)

    KM, enjoy the party! Make sure to drink lots of babycham (as if)

    Iota, well, one does do one's best, you know. Am assuming you're having a suitably English celebration this evening?

    Lorna, go on, confuse the neighbours and celebrate it too!

    DG, and all together; 'laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra, gay your life must beeeeeee....'

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds lovely. And yes, I can do those songs and maybe one or two more. Not sure that I'd admit to it in public, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you sang Kookaburra in a round though? The more the merrier.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...