Monday 13 September 2010

Grey is so NOT the colour...

It's an evening of short posts, I'm afraid. But I really wanted to show you a couple of pictures.

I remember when I first visited Russia, back in 1995. I have to say that my expectations of the architecture I would see were not very high and I assumed, based on various gritty films that I'd seen, that the prevailing impression I would receive in person would be much the same; paint-peeling tower blocks, impressive and intimidating Stalinist monoliths, and grey, everywhere.

Surprise surprise, even 15 years ago Moscow wasn't like that. Sure, the monoliths and crumbling tower blocks were there, but so were fanciful palaces and cutting edge modern architecture. Now of course, capitalism has done both it's best and it's worst and there have been both improvements and architectural atrocities committed in the name of progress. However, even having lived here for the best part of a year, I imagined that outside of the cities utilitarian design would be all one would see.

As ever of course, Russia does love to prove me wrong...

These are some typical cottages that I photographed in the Tver Region (about 4 hours north of Moscow) this weekend. The area is not what you might call wealthy and yet, grey and utilitarian? I don't think so. (Pay particular attention to the window frames and please note; I did not have to search for examples like these; they were ten-a-penny...)










































































6 comments:

  1. How lovely! They are quite similar to the Victorian wooden houses in the USA called "Painted Ladies". Very ornate, and painted lots of different colours. Wonder if that's where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How quaint. They remind me of Wales. Everywhere in Wales is brightly coloured in every colour imaginable. As much as I think it's a tad mad to paint your house so brightly it does bring a little smile to my face all the same :-)

    Take care
    Kate Collings
    xx

    www.katecollings.blogspot.com - always welcoming new followers, guests, and comments xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictues, I love the colours. We have a lot of weatherboard houses in Melbourne, mine included but not as bright as these. About to renovate my house, could I be so daring with colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely, not at all what I would have expected. I'm off to Russia in the Spring so I found that very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. never mind the window frames, there is GRASS! and leaves! and even pretty flowers. Wow, Russia really has moved on.

    Met someone at school who has just done 3 years in Moscow...she told me she's off for that electroconvulsion therapy to get over it. Only joking! and clearly she hadn't seen those pretty window frames (or that grass! and leaves! and pretty flowers! can you hear my pre-conceived ideas crashing to the floor?!)

    :-)

    Pig x

    ReplyDelete
  6. EPM, you could be right - there may well be a link...

    Kate, yes; looks pretty, but have to say that I wouldn't want to live in one... (think of the hangovers!)

    MBA, try it! (Although maybe don't read my comment above before you do)

    R&C, you need to leave the cities to see this sort of thing. Although St Petersburg does have a lot of lovely colours in it too.

    Pig, I understand these new fangled ideas such as colour and flowersare a recent innovation following the arrival of capitalism...(x)

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...