Friday 14 May 2010

Scooby Dooby Doooo... What the hell were you on about?

Were you a Scooby Doo fan as a child? I have to come clean and say that I wasn't, particularly. Scooby and Shaggy just seemed clueless, Velma reminded me a bit too much of myself, and as for Fred and Daphne's sickly relationship, well, that one went right over my head. (Although even then I knew that purple outfits and red hair were not an automatic match...).

The Boys, however, are not concerned with any of that boring back-story or plot stuff. All they're interested in are the chases, the jokes, and the fact that Shaggy and Scoob always get their man in then end. This is why, when I was offered the chance for them to review the latest DVD - 'Scooby Doo - Abracadabra-Doo' - I said yes.

Normally, when we get a review copy of something in this house, I make sure to sit and watch it with the Boys (the first time, anyway). As a result, I have sat through both 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' (more times than I care to admit as the mother of boys) AND 'High School Musical 3'for my sins, so I figured that even though Scooby Doo is from a different film house (Warner Bros instead of Disney), I have more than paid my dues. God forgive me, I let the Boys watch this one in another room whilst I did important internet 'stuff' (aka; reading other people's blogs when I should have been catching up on correspondance etc) next door.

This is long-winded way of admitting that I can't tell you much about this epic movie, other than that the Boys LOVED it. And in case you never cracked on to the basic Scooby Doo plot line of 'Gang happen across weird mystery. Gang investigate. Gang discover and unmask the monster / ghost who is in fact a disgruntled employee of the person who owns the haunted house', here is Boy #1's summary of Scooby Doo - Abracadabra Doo. Make of it what you will...

"There was a big bird, a lion bird. Someone controlled it - it was a big giant puppet. Then everyone came and everyone ran, and they catched a little girl that was Velma's sister, and then at the end they did a big show. Then Daphne came up and Velma's sister arrested her to make her do magic and make her a lion, and then she appeared next to Fred, like magic.

"No wait, the lion/eagle caught the little girl that was Velma's sister. Then - this is so funny - Shaggy came with Scooby, and guess what Shaggy was,? A knight! With... and then, and then, and then, I don't remember."

And would you like to see it again some time?

"Yes!

I'm bored. What do we do now?"

Note - this was last Saturday. Since then they've watched it again - twice. I think, Mr Warner Bros, that this one does the job...

10 comments:

  1. Ae you kidding me? My two ADORE Scooby Doo, They even say the right things like 'Scrappy Doo is a bit rubbish isn't he mum?'
    Timeless classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys luuurrrve Scooby Doo too! Mind you, I was a huge fan of it as a kid...but strangely enough can't even sit through a half hour episode now. Very funny review from their point of view! Sounded just like my boys! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then there's that song, much beloved of small boys, in which Scooby-dooby-doo, rhymes with...

    You can guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WAS a Scooby fan (and one of those who thought that Scrappy Doo jumped the shark...)

    Funnily enough I don't think the boys have ever watched it - I wouldn't even know what channel to find it on here. But maybe I'll try to find it - it probably isn't as 'educational' as Dora or Diego, but it was a lot more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi PM - my two aren't huge fans - I have seen it but there's something about Fred in that dodgy cravat that just seems wrong to me.

    If anyone needs a top tip for DVD The Belgravia Three were feeling a bit off colour last night - we watched The Water Horse - yes Water Saucy for my daughter, it's FAB ! I sat through the whole thing and the only time I ever do that is It's A Wonderful Life at Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, and of course, your kids are totally right about Scrappy Doo...

    Nicola, well, we already know they get on!

    Iota, yes, Boy#2 just discovered that rhyme...

    NVG, hang on, are you telling me in that in the US they DON'T show Scooby Doo?

    BW, thanks for the tip - I'll try to find it when I'm next home...x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip and the wonderful summary.

    I tagged you in "letter of complaint" on my blog today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. PM, there are simply too many channels here - I never know who shows what? The boys only ever watch Nick Jr, so they don't know anything else exists. Just goes to show it is possible to have too much choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Hari - for the comment and the meme...

    NVG, it sounds like you have everything under control... (until they go to a friends' house and realise your subterfuge, of course...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine love Scooby Doo - and did you know that you can get this very cool Scooby Doo organic pasta for kids (Abel & Cole) which mine LOVE too.

    It includes pasta shapes such as the Scooby Snack, the Dreammobile?? and The Ghost, as well as Scoob and Shaggy of course. The girls go mad for it and always eat it all up..

    BM x

    PS not sure Abel & Cole deliver to Moscow but I could send you some..

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...