Sunday 18 April 2010

British Mummy Blogger of the Week

It's all very well, this learning Russian business, but it doesn't help with the latest language dilemma I'm coming up against, which is; in all your conversations about That Volcano in Iceland (and I'm betting you'll have had at least a couple over the last day or so) have you ever actually heard anyone call it by name? It's FULL name?

I haven't. So I've looked it up, and here it is, just in case you missed it:

Eyjafjallajokull

Now, try and pronounce it. And then try and pronounce nonchalantly, as you might in a conversation.

'Ayafjalalalalallskul'

See what I mean?

'Eyejaphjalolokil...'

No, I still can't get it right...


Moving swiftly on... This week's Mummy Blogger of the Week concerns herself with something close, I'm sure, to many bloggers hearts. No, not chocolate (for a change). If you're anything like me I'm sure when you reach the BWS aisle in the supermarket (that's Beers, Wines and Spirits for those of you who have never had a job as a shelf-stacker), you probably do one of the following.

Option 1: Reach for the wine you know and love and which has never let you down. You'ld quite like to try something new but where on earth would you start?

Option 2: Look around for the latest BOGOFF (buy one get one free offer), 3 for 2 offer (speaks for itself), or whatever you saw recommended by that chirpy chap on BBC's Saturday Kitchen to go with the nice curry that James cooked this week.

Option 3: Simply pick up whatever looks most palatable in your price range.

Well, fear not, help is at hand. This week's Mummy Blogger, Knackered Mother, writes of herself:

'Love my three children and love my wine. Used to be a professional wine buyer for a big supermarket. Spent best part of a decade travelling the globe sniffing out wines for a living. Spent most of the last half-decade pregnant. Now work for a rather brilliant wine company. Want to share wine knowledge in the hope that other knackered mothers are interested in what's in my glass at the end of the day. Strictly no insipid wines allowed. Unless too tired to care.'

At the end of each short and entertaining post she gives us her opinions on (mostly) reasonably priced wine - and occasionally, on the must-have accessories for a lady to take to Venice with her for her 10th wedding anniversary trip...

'Eyjafjalladjojokull'

Nope. Still not right...

For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

6 comments:

  1. I think that name looks like you put your fingers on the computer keyboard and typed randomly. You know the kind of thing.

    Eqwiheakdlsf;oiawerlk

    Husband is stuck in Britain. Was due to return on Tues, but Delta has cancelled all flights till Saturday (and then you pay a $1,000 premium to fly that day otherwise it's Sunday at the earliest). But as his passport with renewed visa is sitting in a courier depot somewhere in Northants, he probably couldn't have flown on Tuesday anywhere. So that's some kind of a silver lining to the ash cloud. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother currently panicking as she has flights booked for a visit to us with mid-twenties nephew in three weeks time! Not good. It has taken ages for him to get the vacation time sorted out. We are hoping for a wind change and a cessation of E*&^%!@#*^$ activities NOW! Please, pretty please...

    Now off to check out a suitable wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all gone very 'wrong sort of snow' in Blighty - and is enormously trying for loads of friends of mine. I looked up how to say hello in Russian - Jesus - vowels anyone ? and I'm not bad at languages. Good luck ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now spent far too long trying to pronounce THAT word and was given a very queer look by the postie I told him to: "Eyjafjallajokull" thank you very much...he was not amused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The newsreader on New York radio this morning made it sound a bit like 'Oh f**K it' which is pretty appropriate I think........

    (Good choice of Knackered Mother - I like her blog, it's short and to the point and really unique.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh Iota - sorry to hear about that. Although I have to say that your post about it WAS extremely funny... x

    Sharon - I thought you guys were swimming in suitable wine down under?

    BW - I need all the luck I can get, so thanks!

    TW - the Beeb should probably have a special post on their website telling us how to pronounce it. Now THAT would be a good use of the licence fee...

    NVG, I like short and to the point (and unique) too. Can't do it myself - see this comment - but I like it all the same...

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...