Sunday 28 February 2010

British Parent Blogger of the Week

Sunday night, we're back in Moscow, and I'm trying to avoid facing up to the fact that I have a one-on-one 90 minute long Russian lesson first thing tomorrow morning for which I have revised precisely nothing.

I was so full of good intentions when I started this. Hell, I was so full of good intentions when I was packing for our trip to England that not only did I take all my notes with me but whilst there I also purchased two packs of index cards so that I could transpose all the new words I was planning on learning onto them, all the better to be able to test myself with.

Ha.

In fact, HA!

I wouldn't mind but Ludmilla, my teacher, clearly KNEW this was going to happen because a) she teaches mums a lot, and b) she said to me at my last lesson the day before I left that I shouldn't worry if I didn't have the chance to do anything because we could go over it all again when I got back. To which I spiritedly replied that of course I would be working on it - I would have loads of time.

Again, ha. HA!

So, rather than dwell on the prospect of my forthcoming humiliation tomorrow, let's talk about something much more interesting. The British Parent Blogger of the Week. You may have noticed my use of the world 'Parent' there, rather than 'Mummy' and yes, there's a clue; this week's pick is a bloke.

Dan at All That Comes With It writes of himself:

'I live near Huddersfield in the North of England. I’m a 33 years old part time stay at home dad. For three days a week I'm also a community mental health nurse but you won’t find me blogging about that much. I’m married to Kerry and we have two children - Amy (5) and Evan (2). I keep chickens, grow veg, enjoy the odd walk, and am a complete and utter geek.'

He's been blogging longer than God (allegedly) and in his 'spare' time is co-ordinating the forthcoming Hadrian's Wall walk in aid of The Joseph Salmon Trust - you can find out more about that and how to sponsor the walkers by clicking here. And the video on his post 'This One's for the Xbox Family' last week brought tears to my eyes and reminded me what a blxxdy amazing thing blogging can be.

Have tissues handy.

For the British Mummy Bloggers Ning, click here. (Note: It's called 'Mummy', but Dads can be members too).

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure you'll do fine tomorrow. Good luck with the lesson anyway.

    Great choice of parent blogger.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging does seem to bring out the soft and cuddly side of dads, doesn't it? I love that. Oh, hang on. Have I just been offensive there? Do they like to think of themselves as assertive and disciplinarian? Oops. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a fantastic video, wasn't it?

    Good luck with your lesson....I hope you're going to learn about more than white bread and lemons this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! That made me laugh. Who has time for lessons when they're between countries?

    (Good choice of blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks CJ - I had the lesson, it was fine, if a little embarrassing to admit - aged 43 - that the dog ate my homework.

    Iota, I'm sure Dan is horrified by that comment...

    NVG, it was. And this time I learned how to introduce myself. Which could be useful, although I probably wouldn't yet understand the response...

    Dan, you're welcome.

    MWA, not me, it seems.

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...