Thursday 16 April 2009

Of slugs and snails...

When does it happen, I wonder? That switch that gets thrown in a child's head?

I am a BOY/ GIRL.
I like BLUE / PINK.
I like to WRESTLE / PLAY WITH DOLLS.
I want to be a FIREMAN / VET.

Because it's happened, here. And not just to Boy #1. In fact, if anything, it happened to his younger brother first. Boy #2 marches about the place, announcing his presence in a deep voice, telling us of car crashes, plane rescues, Fixer Men, and subduing any and all who come between him and his objective (usually the wooden train set, but often anything his older brother is playing with) with charm and, occassionally, brute force.

Yesterday afternoon, at my parents, I caught my sons play-fighting on the floor. (It probably wasn't - 'play' - but leave me my illusions, please). My 95 year old grandmother who had been refereeing was watching indulgently, calling Boy #2 'a loveable rogg' (sic) as he pushed his older and bigger brother's head into the carpet in a move that any WWF fighter would be proud of. Boy #1 was unruffled but not amused. I separated them, and instructed Boy #2 to give Boy #1 a kiss to make up...


Boy #2: "OKaaaay. I give you a kiss." (Plants a big wet smacker on his brother's cheek).

Boy #1: "Thankyou."

Boy #2: "A magic kiss."

Boy #1: "Thankyou!"

Boy #2: "It has turned you into... a princess!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Boy #1: "Noooooooo!"


He's three. Where did he learn this one?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like he's been reading the Princess and the Frog. You want to watch all that reading, it encourages a literate and creative mind that knows no bounds!

    PS Why are Grandmothers so cool? Nothing seems to phase them. I wish I was as chilled as yours...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like my 5 year old who was trying to decide whether to ditch his favourite colour (red) in case it was too girlie??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure where he learned it, but he is cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These things are just instinct, I feel. Littleboy 1 told me that he wet his pants yesterday because he was 'being Batman'. As far as I know he has never even seen Batman....but somehow he knows that it's cool to be him (even if Batman wets his pants).

    ReplyDelete
  6. RM, oh so true... And my GM is merely a doting grandmother. Boy #2 could get away with ANYTHING as far as she's concerned...

    Tracey, thanks!

    EPM, and what was his decision?

    J's Mommy, everything comes to those who wait...

    NVG, those kids with older siblings at nursery have a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So right - the older siblings at nursery teach them a whole load of stuff.

    But then I see my two boys teaching others all sorts of unsavoury things, mainly to do with climbing unsuitable objects and shouting really loudly. They have taken at least 2 beautifully behaved girls and showed them the joys of shouting and climbing and waving sticks around. Their mothers are not happy. I'm still hiding behind the wendy house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is brilliant. I have been trying to encourage my son to play the girlie tradition stuff, but he is now starting to rebel. It's all lightsabers and blowing heads off at the minute.

    Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It happens,I think, sometime around school nursery; as a teacher, I remember how we had to spend ages discouraging fighting games and lego guns: as a mother, well they just kind of pick it up and run with it; with s#1, until recently, it was swords. EVERYTHING was made into a sword and his ambition was to be a sword when he grew up. My d#1 gives as good as she gets; my "school mum" friends all seem to have boys and she finds she prefers "boy" games; you couldn't meet a more dainty and delicate child as d#1 but she's tough as old boots. It kind of disarms a lot of people as they expect shy/girly and what they get is loud/tough ...ahhh well

    ReplyDelete
  10. He sounds like my son who decided very early on that he was definitely a boy and no doubt about it. He only liked boy things and and walked and talked and did everything in a very "manly" way when he was still very little. It was a great joy to see him grow up and also watch his tender side that he could not hide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FR, thanks for visiting, and I have those wendy house moments too... Have you come out yet?

    SPD, yes, we can try all we like to lead them into more gentle ways - but they'll pick up a stick in the garden and use it as a gun.

    Hi Katherine, thanks for commenting, and oh yes, the sword thing. Obviously we don't have any. Obviously...

    Irene, yes, the key thing is to remember they do have that quiet side too. It's just that boy #2 keeps his very well hidden right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. SOunds like he's developing a finely honed sense of humour. I just loved that stage when my two were starting to get to grips with irony. 16yr old is now a past master and has been for a number of years but we find that things still whizz well over the head of 14yr old, way put of reach of humankind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. if it's any consolation, my little girl also likes to wave sticks around and squish mud into her little brother's head whenever she can. He also likes to wear tiaras, but then he's not yet 2 and hasn't figured out that other boys might laugh at him yet..

    ReplyDelete
  14. It happened for us a week after my son started at Playschool. His pink towel was always the favourite. Suddenly, 'Pink is for girls only"

    Sigh..

    It seems to have passed, he doesn't care which towel again.

    Charndra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh he is a clever boy. I love that. Hee hee. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Go on - you know you want to...